Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Understanding Change

I went in for my annual physical this morning. Dr. James Reifschneider asked me what I was up to. Among other things, I told him about taking algebra.

He became more interested than usual.

Then he gave me a lecture about how, in his view, you simply cannot begin to grasp change or the nature of change unless you could understand calculus. He said whether it's about biology, astronomy, physics, or whatever, you need calculus to have a clue about what's going on.

He went on to say that earlier in the year he had purchased a book called Calculus for Dummies and was working his way through it.

---------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, back in class, we had another test and I think I did pretty well. Afterward Prof. John said that I might be in the lead for "most improved player." I got a good laugh out of that because Seth says that is probably the least coveted award -- in the sports world anyway.

No comments: