Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Adventure Winding Down (I think)

Dear Steve,

(who, according to Justin, is a skinny kid from Cambridge who is "acquiring a bunch of science credits from Columbia via their post-back program.")

Thanks for reading my blog and sorry I haven't posted for awhile. Whats going on is that I hate blogs that are mainly whining. I like blogs, like WPM, that tell real stories about real people and real things and stuff that happen in real places. I thought my math adventure might be like that, but so far, for me at least, it hasn't.

I'm still enjoying learning new things, but haven't figured out how to write about them. Like, how would you tell Justin how cool it is to create an exponential function that will let you create a graph of a catenary. Or how slick "e", the Euler number is?

My teacher is still very good. No complaints at all. What I think I was looking for was something like "the aesthetics of math" or just, as trite and unrealistic as it sounds, some kind of truth and beauty. Well, not yet. Most likely, maybe never.

There are about four more weeks left in the semester. There is a test this Friday and the final around May 9. I'm likely going to get a passing grade for the class, but that never mattered, but it is nice. I'm probably not going to take the next class, trig, because my own teaching load is cranking back up next school year and I want to do a better job for my students. Also, there are too many other things to learn.

I imagine these couple of algebra classes I have taken have been good mental calisthenics. Plus I really "get it" about how compound interest and half-lives work, but I can't honestly say the the end result was worth the investment in time I have made so far. On the other hand, the process probably was worth it. Like going on a great bike ride. The finish is fine, but the ride through beautiful mountains and along rivers with changing leaves is what it is really all about.

One way I can tell I am winding down is that I am sitting here typing rather than diving into inverse functions. Another part of the reason I haven't posted was because if I had some "math time" I would want to study rather than write this blog.

One thing that I have learned is that learning math takes time. Lots of time. Just like music or writing or sports or anything. I tell my own students that they can't possible write a good story on their first try and easily. Pros can't, so why should they be able to. I can tell I haven't put in nearly enough time, even though Seth can't believe how much time I do put in. I still would like to try calculus and have a feel for it. But that's not going to happen yet. I certainly have a lot of respect and admiration for people who can do this stuff. But I still wonder whether they see "larger" things that I can't, or if they put in the time to learn the mechanics. You probably have a better feel for that than I do.

I can tell that I'm rambling but I did want to post again. Right now I need to switch focus and learn how to "find the inverse of a function with a restricted domain."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jay,
I'm glad to hear that you've stuck with this class, previous posts and a lack of an update made me worry that you had decided to give it up.

Like you, I started taking math and science coming from more of a writing/liberal arts background(I was a philosophy major), so its given me a certain pleasure to read your thoughts about taking math. Unlike you, I am taking these classes to apply to medical school, not just for pleasure. Still, I vividly remember being scared to death and completely overwhelmed the first few months of my first math and science classes. I even failed my first midterm, and nearly quit.

At the end of this semester, I'll be done with the requirements that I need to take. One of the greatest parts of this experience for me, and I think that the same is happening/has happened to you, is that I have learned how to think and approach problems mathematically/scientifically. This is definitely not easy, especially when you are not used to doing so, and I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences.

My father always asks me if math and science is beautiful to me. Like you, I don't think I have found it, yet. I'm also not sure if I ever will. Still, I'm beginning to think that the beauty of math is not to be found in some sort of abstract aesthetic sense, but rather in the way the little things fit together, just right. Its easy for me to forget this, as well as the fact that things rarely, if ever, work out in the real world the way they do in math.

Whenever I feel discouraged by the amount I know compared with the amount of effort I have put in, I try to think back myself just before I started this path. I know if that version of myself could somehow see me now, he would be amazed. I'm positive the same is true of the last August version of you. I know that you don't have time for trig next semester, but I do hope that at some point in the future you find the time and energy to keep going on your math adventure.

Good luck with inverse functions and the rest of the semester,
Stephen