Monday, August 18, 2008

I Gotta Buy the Book - Retail

I got on the phone to get the story about the $135 textbook.

The best way, I figured, was to actually communicate with Professor Lapeyre. I called the college and they couldn't find his name in their directory. Then I called the Math Department. The nice woman who took my call couldn't find his name either. She checked with several people there and eventually figured out that the course was being offered through "The Community Campus." I should call them.

I did, and they did verify that the section I was signed up for was theirs. But they couldn't find Professor Lapeyre either. That person gave me Paul Welch's name. It didn't say in his listing, but apparently he is head of the math department.

I gave Dr. Welsh a call and he cheerfully picked up his own phone. I introduced myself and said I wanted to contact Professor Lapeyre. Dr. Welsh confirmed that Lapeyre was indeed hired -- Welsh interviewed and hired him --- but he couldn't give me his phone number. He also said he might not yet have a Pima College email account. He did confirm that Lapeyre was a physicist, but he thought he was still working and was younger than a retired prof ought to be. I'll get the answer to that later. He also said the correct pronunciation of his name is "La - PAIR."

He said I should call the bookstore back and ask for the Community Campus section.

I did, asked for the Community Campus Section, gave the course number, and was handed over to a supervisor. He confirmed the book and the price: $135. It was a whole package with a workbook, CD, video, and who knows what else. And no used copies were available. OK, I guess I gotta bike down and make the purchase.

Meantime, I checked online and there are a bunch of free tutorials about intermediate algebra. I should have all the help I need, but still wonder if I should have started at ground zero -- beginning algebra.

No comments: