Thursday, August 7, 2008

Where to Start?

Because I work at the University of Arizona, I thought it would make sense to sign up for a class through the Math Department. I got online and scanned their courses and couldn't tell where I fit.

The UA offers a math assessment test that attempts to determine where you should land when you sign up for a course. I suppose similar tests are offered in languages also. Makes sense. I clicked the link to sniff around.

There are two "practice tests" that allow you to get a general feel for how it works and get a general idea of where you fit. Here's how they explain it:

"There are two different Math Readiness Tests: the MRT A and the more advanced MRT B. Your choice of test and your test performance will affect your placement
code
. (Our placement process will also take other factors into consideration.) "


I looked at the "easy" test A, tried a few, had a good chuckle, and said, "Wow. I've got a long way to go. It would be silly to even give that test a try. I couldn't do one.

Fortunately, Tucson has a great community college. I went to the Pima Community College web site and continued my search there. They had a whole slew of math courses, many of which indicated that no college credit would be given for that class. That sounded reassuring.

I found the Pima College assessment test page and clicked onto their pre-algebra test. Not bad, I could do it. Next I went to the elementary algebra page. Barely. College algebra, not a chance. OK, the next thing to do was head on down to the campus and take the test.

No comments: