Friday, September 12, 2008

A Good Redirection (back)

My friend Tom Miller called this morning and told me he clicked into this blog.

He must have have had either a lot of time on his hands or really didn't want to get to whatever deadline was hanging over his head today. In any event, he is likely the first person other than me to have signed on. My wife hasn't. Neither has my son or any of my students.

The first thing he noticed was that my last post was about 10 days ago. What's up?

I wondered about that myself, but Tom had a theory.

Since my last post, all the books about math and journalism I ordered have arrived. I've begun reading them and they're good.

Kathleen Wickham's book, Math Tools for Journalists, covers everything I would have covered, but more. I'd use it in a second if I were teaching a semester-long one unit course. Plus, she's a good and fun writer. The only negative thing I could say about the book is that I can't imagine hardly any journalists actually working their way through its 150 pages. There is too much there and too many journalists hate math. Plus there is just too much else to read. Books that do words, not numbers.

The book I thought I wanted to write was already done by Sarah Cohen in 2001 for the IRE (Investigative Reporters and Editors). Numbers in the Newsroom is just about 100 pages, is written clearly, and approaches the math journalists need to know with a "just the facts" mentality. I couldn't do better. I wish a real publisher had picked her book up.

And, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper by John Allen Paulos. It is dated with plenty of references to events in the news that occurred during 1994 or so. But what a mind opening read. The book made me see (again) that there are lots of ways to process and communicate "truth." Interpreting events by using numbers is certainly a way that I hadn't been using or even thinking about until recently. And, I suppose the word "truths" plural is a more accurate way to put it.

So, back to my mathquest and the blog and (who knows?) the book. I guess I've been putting off writing here while my research or lit review stage began and started to settle in. Well, it's settled in, partly thanks to Tom.

Tom shared his opinion that my early entries got his attention -- the idea of a math illiterate testing the waters of a whole new world. But, he thought, not even being aware of these other books, that my focus on journalism was too narrow and too quick and not particularly interesting. Turns out, he's right and it's time for me, still at the very beginnings of this journey, to, in photography terms, put the wide angle lens back on, get in receptive mode, and see what happens.

I don't know whether I can stay open-focused and just learn math and wait. I am thinking in terms of "stories," not numbers. I want to bring my tape recorder to class and interview my new professor, not about how to do algebra, but about whether he can tell me even one story where math had made a difference in his life or in the lives of any of his former students or friends. Not a general professional enhancement, but a personal life changing difference. Poems have done that for people. Songs certainly. Has math?

In the meantime, the $135 package from the Pima College bookstore is still sitting on my desk, in clear view, two feet from my keyboard, still shrink-wrapped, and for three more days, within the time frame of when I could get a full refund if I choose. The title of the book is Intermediate Algebra. I keep seeing the words, "Intimidating Algebra." I am having second thoughts about my placement. Class starts Monday.

Last week I met Dan Huff to go to Saguaro Monument East to take pictures. His son Alex was home and we started talking. Alex is taking beginning algebra at Pima College this semester. I glanced at his what felt like 15 pound textbook. I didn't think I could do the work on page 75, much less solve the incomprehensible equations on page 500. And I signed up for the next level up.

I'm back writing.

No comments: